Friday, June 22, 2012

corn cob dolls

We have started the Little House on the Prairie series as our summer read-aloud.  We still do school over the summer, just a more low-key version. My plan is to read a chapter and have a project to go along with each chapter.  Some chapters are easier to be creative with than others.  In the 2nd chapter of the book, Laura describes her corn cob doll.  When I was little my great-grandmother taught me how to make corn husk dolls, and I still have one of the dolls.  I thought they would enjoy making the dolls, but after that the dolls would be left by the way-side, but that was not the case.  Their dolls are displayed proudly on their bookshelves and I have even seen them play with them.
To make your own doll:
You need to clean your corn cob by pulling all off the strings and husks.  Then, using a sharp knife scrape off all of the kernels (done by Mom).  Next, you can use a butter knife or spoon to clean any remaining kernels and then, wash with soap and water.  Now, the hard part, waiting for the corn cob to dry.  It took ours almost 3 days to dry completely.  Afterwards, use markers to draw a face on your doll.  Lastly, wrap her in one of Dad's (or in our case, Mom's do-rags) handkerchiefs.

No comments: